COVID-19 Testing Accommodation for Extended Religious Fasts
As a university committed to equity and inclusion for members of all religious communities, we would like you to be aware of some of the available supports that may be relevant for individuals who are observing extended fasts for religious reasons:
- Individuals who are concerned that they may not be able to produce a saliva sample for COVID-19 testing can request a nasal swab test to satisfy testing requirements.
- Faculty, and Staff: Please call the McKinley Health Center at 217-244-5661, state that you are requesting the nasal swab test because you are fasting as a religious observance, and you will be scheduled for an appointment for a nasal swab test.
- Faculty and Staff: If you need an option in addition to the one provided at McKinley, please contact the ADA Division of the Office for Access & Equity at 217-333-0885 to arrange for an alternative testing method.
- Students who may need an academic accommodation due to a religious observance can make that request by completing the Request for Accommodation for Religious Observances form. Additional information about this process is available on the Office of the Dean of Students website.
- Employees (including student employees) who may need a workplace religious accommodation can make that request through the Office for Access & Equity.
- To help instructors and staff in course and event planning, a list of some of the religious observances that may affect the academic calendar between January to July 2022 is maintained by the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion.
For additional questions, please visit the resources listed above.
Posted: March 1, 2022