Pregnant and Parenting Faculty/Staff
Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits discrimination against a woman because of pregnancy, childbirth, or a medical condition related to pregnancy or childbirth.
The Illinois Human Rights Act prohibits discrimination based on pregnancy, which includes pregnancy, childbirth, or medical or common conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth. IHRA requires the University to make reasonable accommodations for any medical or common condition of a job applicant or employee related to pregnancy or childbirth, unless the University can demonstrate that the accommodation would impose an undue hardship. The University cannot require an employee affected by pregnancy, childbirth, or medical or common conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth to accept an accommodation when the applicant or employee did not request an accommodation or to take leave if another reasonable accommodation can be provided.
Faculty and staff who wish to request a reasonable accommodation related to pregnancy, childbirth, or a related condition, should contact the ADA Division of the Office for Access & Equity.
For an accessible version of this request form, please us the Reasonable Accommodations Accessible Request Form. You can also contact the Office for Access & Equity (OAE) directly at (217) 333-0885 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Harassment & Discrimination Policies and Procedures
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Nondiscrimination Policy includes prohibiting discrimination and harassment based on pregnancy. For more information, see the Full Nondiscrimination Policy in the Campus Administrative Manual.
To report an incident online, visit Report an Incident on the We Care site. To report an incident, you can also contact the Office for Access & Equity (OAE) directly at (217) 333-0885 or via email at email@example.com.
- Pregnancy Accommodations – Office for Access & Equity
- Pregnancy Leave – System HR Services
- Nursing Mothers in the Workplace – System HR Services
- Nursing Mothers in the Workplace – Campus Administrative Manual
- Types of Discrimination/Protected Classes – Office for Access & Equity
- Benefits for Graduate Students and Graduate Assistants
- Campus Lactation Spaces (PDF)
- Legal Rights for Pregnant Workers under Federal Law – U.S. EEOC
- Facts About Pregnancy Discrimination – U.S. EEOC
- The Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978
- Pregnancy and Your Rights in the Workplace – Illinois Department of Human Rights (PDF)
- Pregnancy Rights Notice Requirement – Illinois Department of Human Rights